Antique Quilt Re-do

On occasion a customer sends me an antique quilt top to recover.  One particular customer sends me antique “carded wool” quilts to have a new top made for.  Since it’s been a couple years since I did one of these, I’m blogging my journey with this one in the hopes that I’ll have a reference for the next time.

The quilt came to me, already recovered once, and tied:

DSCN1375

After talking with the customer, the new quilt top to recover it was made out of 1930’s reproduction prints.  Here’s a portion of it:

DSCN1379

Today I started working on uncovering exactly what was underneath.  First I need to remove a gazillion ties:

DSCN1380

And then find a way to smooth out the carded wool that’s inside a deteriorating cotton quilt, inside the plaid fabric.  I’m thinking this deconstruction to reconstruct is going to be the trickiest part.  But I won’t know for sure until I get the outer fabric off:

DSCN1376

The biggest problem is that the muslin covering the wool batting is disintegrating as it’s touched.  My thought process, at this point, is to utilize the longarm and flannel sheeting.  If I load the new backing onto the longarm, spray baste a flannel sheet as I go, then insert the carded wool layer, laying another flannel sheet (or similar weight flannel) over it, I’ll be enclosing the wool and keeping it all from shifting when it’s removed for the new ties.

This will be tied, the carded wool is too thick (an inch in some places) to attempt to longarm quilt, even on my workhorse of a Gammill.

I’ll post progress on this as I go.

Baptist Fan on Antique Quilt

Today’s quilt is an antique quilt.  I have no idea exactly how old it is, but it’s old enough for the shirting fabrics to be very fragile to work with.    Not extremely fragile as the last one was, simply “very” fragile.

While working on this today, I was reminded how much I like simple quilt patterns.  Although I love the complexity of many new designs, there is something comforting in the simplicity of some traditional designs.  Of course it helps that I am finding myself drawn to reds and this quilt is predominantly red.

Front of quilt:

Back of quilt:

Sometimes simplicity in quilting is the best choice.

Weekly review

I thought I’d post a weekly round up of a few things I have been working on this week that aren’t computer related.  Most of what I’ve done this week seems to be in the computer department, but I have managed to work on a few fiber things.

First off is my late aunt’s last quilt to be quilted.  When my aunt passed, my cousin asked me to quilt the tops she found in the basement, and I readily agreed.  I’ve shown one of these before on the blog.  Once this is bound, they will all be returned on our next visit back north.

And a closeup of the quilting:

I’ve also been working on a jacket, for myself.  It’s a water themed jacket and will feature one of my soon to be released applique patterns.  Here’s a preview of the seaweed being couched down onto the back of the jacket:

And lastly, a sneak peak at the first in a new series based on trees:

This particular one has copper leaves.  I’ve had this roll of copper mesh for quite some time, and now that I’m actually using it, I’m finding it very easy to stitch through.  But, once you put a needle hole in it, it’s there.

That’s my update on what I’ve been doing.  Hope you’ve had a great week and next week is even better!