Frogging

Frogging is a word that’s used in two of the mediums I work with, quilting and knitting. In both cases it means the same thing, although the technique is different, it means to “rip it out” ( rippit, ripppit).

I have done my fair share of frogging in quilting over the years, but not so much in knitting. Not because everything I knit is perfect, but because I used to just toss the bad knit on a shelf and forget it. Easy to do when you’re working with the small amounts of yardage needed for hats and gloves, and even socks. Yes, I do have socks that don’t fit in my closet.

But when you start knitting sweaters, with the quantity of yarn needed, that just seems wasteful. And at the expense of the yarn (usually a wool blend) and the care required, finding someone who would fit the garment isn’t usually an option.

About two years ago, I started a cardigan, Nantucket Red in Blue, that I loved the designers garment. BUT, I wanted wool while the original was in cotton. AND I wanted long sleeves, while the original was short sleeved. AND it was two years ago, before I started taking many knitting classes.

The last week or so, I’ve spent a lot of time finishing the fronts and the sleeves. It went into the UFO knitting pile almost two years ago with just the back and half the first front knit.

Two nights ago I seamed all the pieces together using a technique for invisible seaming that I learned at SAFF in 2013. And then I knit the neckline. And THEN I tried it on.

The sweater was inches too wide, probably about two sizes. The modified sleeves went down to my fingertips and had a funny bump/wing at the shoulder seam, and the neckline being that large was too big to stay on my shoulders.

So frogging began. But I had learned that seaming technique really well, and it was late last night.

And I cut the front!

So today in my sitting time, I’ll continue to frog this swearer, hoping to save as much yarn as I can. When i’m done, I’ll weigh the yarn, figure out what I have left and find an appropriate pattern for it. Then the next sweater I won’t take 2 years to finish! (I hope!)

IMG_0200.JPG

Adjustments for Reality

I spent my morning tea time today making adjustments to my dress mannequin.

I bought the size range mannequin that “fit” me a couple years back and haven’t used it much. But with a renewed interest in making garments, I started using it. Every time I would fit the garment to the mannequin, and then try it on, the fit just wasn’t quite right. Apparently I, in my mid 50′s, am no longer a stock size. LOL. I find humor in this as I never truly was, even at my fittest back in the late 80′s.

So the first step was realizing where I didn’t fit stock. Well, that was easy enough, I’m full chested with almost no backside. Always have been, always will be. And the curve in my spine is a little more pronounced than it was as a teenager.

So, off to get the tape measure and some undergarments, an old dress, and some stuffing. A little reduction in mannequin here, a little padding there, and now my top in progress hangs and looks the same on both the mannequin and me.

Now i can pull out that pretty knit top fabric and get to sewing for the holidays.

Adjustment-for-spine mannequin-front mannequin-side mannequin-with-top