I’ve finished the project on my previous post. I asked readers to guess what the project was, and KK guessed right. IT’S A BAG!
I saw this bag in person the other day and fell in love with it’s size (perfect for my sketchbook), and the interior pockets in it. I was especially intrigued by the fact that the front flaps make their own outer pocket. Designed by a friend of mine, Susan Brubaker Knapp, you can find the pattern here
The fabrics are my own hand-dyed fabrics. I had to paint the quilting motif to add some extra color to it. I used a mixture of Jacquard Lumier paints, textile medium and Folk Art Acrylic paint.
Unfortunately, in my rush, anticipation to finish it, I forgot to put the interior pockets in mine!!
All of the pieces of this bag, except the strap, were quilted on the longarm. I used a digitized pattern for the motif, and filled in with my freehand leaf fill. On the bottom and front section, I used another digitized pattern reduced to make the swirl fill. The bottom of the bag stands so wonderful because there is a Bag-E-Bottoms piece in it. That’s the first time I’ve used one and I like that it adds structure without adding a lot of weight.
I did make a few changes to the pattern. My straps are sewn into the bag, not on the outside, and as I mentioned, I neglected the interior pockets, but even barring my mistakes changes, I love this bag and can’t wait to use it!