Remember this piece I posted about playing with glazing techniques:
Well, this weekend I decided to do a little more experimenting (remembering that Sundays are reserved as art play days here).
I wanted to see what would happen if I tried stitching onto a painted paper board. This is a piece of Canson, cold press, Acrylic paper 185lb. And yes, painting on it did warp it a bit. I’m not sure what I could have done to prevent that, and will have to think of that in the future.
But, back to the experiment. I have a basket in the house that is filled with silk flower parts.
So, I dumped the entire basket onto the rug and found some leaves I thought would work. Then, taking them to the studio (yes, after I cleaned up the mess on the rug! lol), I started working.
Lesson One: I need to find a better glue to use. The Sobo glue was too wet. When I put it behind the smallest leaf and started stitching, it came up through the silk, onto the presser foot and I had a mess to clean up. The next two leaves, I decided I would put dots of Sobo onto and let it dry. When I came back, I had glue dots showing through the silk. So, lesson one, I need a more gel/stick type glue, rather than a liquid.
Lesson Two: Keep your stitch length a bit longer. The needle perforates the paper and increasing the stitch length (in my opinion) helps maintain the stability of it.
Lesson Three: Keep in mind the throat area of your machine. On my Bernina, I have exactly 7-1/2″ from the center needle position to the throat wall. And paper does NOT bend like fabric does, so approximately 14″ square is the largest piece I could use this technique on. This piece is 9×12 and at times it was a stretch to fit a line of stitching in without hitting that throat wall.
All in all, I like this piece. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. I’m not sure if it just needs mounted and framed, or if I want to use it as a center of a larger fiber piece. But, I like where this experiment headed:
And I think I’ll keep my Sundays as reserved for me, play dates in the studio!